In almost all the webpages that visits, warn to you of their existence and they force to you to accept them but, what are the cookies? Of course, they must be something very important when everybody uses them…
Then yes, they are it. From Google to the smaller business online they use them and they take advantage all benefits. So, so that you discover of what they consist, to teach all the types to you whom there are and to show to you how to use them without failing to fulfill the law, we have written this post.
Perhaps although already you are using them and you do not know it…
What are the cookies?
Of course, and at least in this case, we did not talk about to as they call to cakes hipsters 😉. In order to have a base on which to begin, we see the definition of cookies that makes Wikipedia:
A cookie, cake or computer science cake are a small information sent by a website and stored in the navigator of the user, so that the website can consult the previous activity of the user.
Or shelp with other words, a cookie is not more than information than a webpage keeps in your navigator, with whom it can obtain different functionalities:
- To maintain open its session on Facebook.
- To keep your basket from the purchase.
- To show publicity related to your searches.
- And much more.
The way in which they work is very easy to understand but, so that it is still simpler, we told you on an example. It imagines that the next page to that you enter is the NASA and you computer are a planet that wants to explore with one of their satellites.
They send their sounding (that would be the cookie) to the surface (in real life, your navigator) to compile the information that wants to obtain. As we see next, the use that does of those data can very be varied.
Types of cookies that exist
The cookies are used to secure very diverse aspects. For that reason, based on which they are, they are classified of the following way:
1. According to whom it creates them
Here they are possible to be distinguished between:
- Own: when it is the own webpage the one that manages them. The most classic example of this type is, in page translated to several languages, that the one remembers that you chose for future visits.
- Of third parties: it is the case in opposition to the previous one, since here those are others that create the cookie. The most common use of these is for software of analytical Web (Google Analytics for example).
By all means, the one of third parties always you must include it, does not put yourself single in your site.
2. According to its purpose
As we told you before, the cookies can be used with different aims:
- Advertising: you know that happens, when you look for to contract hosting, that soon all the announcements that you see are on companies of hosting? One is due them. We are useful to remember to you that we have discounts for the best ones than they exist. 😉
- Techniques: they are those that are used in a webpage to increase their functionalities.
- Of analysis: in this case, its main assignment is to analyze how the visits in your site interact. Ideals to improve it and to complete your ideal client.
- Of personalisation: when a page allows you to realise some exchange rate (as it can be your tray of mail, or the page of the finder), so that it stays in future visits are stored in cookies.
As you see, its use is very varied.
3. According to its duration
The time that remains also stored is a factor that determines the type:
- Persistent: they are those that, as its name indicates, persist during a certain time. An example of this type is, when you enter a page and appears to banner to subscribe you when newsletter and you close it. The normal thing is that it does not return to you to leave again whenever you return.
- Nonpersistent: by the name certainly already you know of what they consist. They are right in opposition to the previous ones so, as soon as the user leaves the site, erase.
The persistent ones you do not last certain… They can remain as much time as you want.
How to obey the “law of cookies”
Seen the sight, the cookies of Internet are almost as brilliant as those to eat 😀, although they are not possible to be used lightly… They are still personal information that your webpage collects, reason why is necessary to fulfill the requirements that the law demands.
You do not worry, are very simple.
At the time of obtaining the consent, the normal thing is that it is understood granted with that the user continues sailing. Although if you want to have the certainty, you can include a button so that it accepts them.
But in addition to the poster, you must include a page where the visitor can extend the information on this subject, where you must tell him:
- What are the cookies and their function.
- The type that you use and the purpose.
- How he can erase them or deactivate them.
- Who uses them.
The ideal is that you include a connection to her in the own warning (as is seen in the photo) and that years another one in the foot of the page.
In WordPress, the CMS by execelencia, you have several plugins that allows you to fulfill this norm of a very simple way. Among all, it emphasizes without a doubt Cookie Notice with a valuation of 5 stars, thanks to aspects as:
- To create your own message.
- Redirigir to the users to the page of “More information”.
- To choose how long remains the cookie.
- To change the colors.
- And a long list of others.
A form simple to save a headache to you. 😉
Now already you know what is the cookies, something that to add?
We nothing else do not have to add on this subject. By that reason, now we yield the witness to you.
We want to know your opinion exceeds they, if you know another one plugin or ways to include the message in a webpage, which you really use, why you use them, etc., we want to know that there is somebody to the other side and for it, nothing better than you leave to a commentary a little more down us.
It comes, demonstrates to us that you are there. 😉